One task that had to be tackled before we could paint was that of patching. Since our walls our old plaster, there are large holes from where nails were put into the wall, and the old paint was chipping off (orange and green paint underneath – woo hoo! lol). So we set off scraping paint off of the wall, then patching it. I like to call it “spackle” since that’s what my dad always called it, Doug calls it “mud”, but I guess the real name is “Joint Compound.” Not as cool as spackle, if you ask me. So we started patching Lily’s room and our bedroom. I guess they used to have crown molding in there because there were tiny holes all around the perimeter of the room.
We’d like to add crown molding to the whole house someday, but lucky for us, the dining room, living room, and front foyer already had it in! Unfortunately, it was all cracked with large gaps above and below the crown molding. We wanted to try and see if we could save it, so I caulked to fill in the gaps and used the excess caulk (cause I’m new at this, and kinda messy) to fill the cracks. Here are some before and afters.
during (left) and after (right)
left picture: half untouched (left), half caulked (right)
right picture: caulked, painted molding, ceiling and walls (living room)