I'm kinda really bummed that the only picture I have of this amazingly delicious mac and cheese is a grainy cell phone picture. But when a dish makes you want to face plant into a bowl and go nuts, you don't wait to post it.
Like many people, I love Mac & Cheese, always have. When I discovered just how easy it was to make it homemade instead of using the box, my life was forever changed. I've tried new ingredient combos (hello bacon and beer), new cheeses, and loved 'em all. Recently I have started looking for ways to squeeze as many veggies as I could into my favorite dish.
My kids love veggies. Depending on their mood (and which kid we're talking about), they'd be more likely to pick up a carrot than dig into pizza. But I love the idea of hidden veggies for me. They make the dish more savory and hearty, and you don't feel so bad devouring a dish full of carbs when you know there are just as many vegetables in it. Or maybe that's just me.
Yep, the sneaky veggies are for me and not my kids. 😉
This recipe tasted BETTER than any other mac and cheese I've had. It had half the cheese and a half a pound of pureed carrots. The carrots actually make it more cheesy looking, similar to the box kind.
And here's the clincher:
no one knew there were carrots in it until I told them.
Have picky kids or husband or feel bad eating carbs? This recipe is for you.
- 1 lb (16 oz bag) pasta
- ½ lb carrots, washed and chopped
- ½ stick butter
- 1 ½ C milk
- ½ C cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ C parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ T honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- ) In one pot, start cooking carrots.
- ) In another pot, start boiling water for noodles.
- ) Add cooked carrots to a blender and add milk until it reaches a smooth puree.
- ) Cook noodles, set aside.
- ) Melt butter. Add carrot puree, noodles, and cheese.
- ) Stir until well mixed.
- ) Add honey, and salt & pepper to taste.
- ) Watch everyone's faces, but don't look suspicious.
We used organic Thomas the Tank Engine noodles from World Market, but I highly recommend using rice noodles to get this gluten free.
Need it to be dairy free? Use almond milk in place of milk, and goat milk cheddar in place of the cheese. Tastes just as good.