Do you have that one room in your house? The one you just don’t know what to do with?
We do. We actually have several. But this one was the worst. It’s our front room (pronounced “frunch” thanks to my lovely Chicago accent) or a living room. We called it our holding room, the room that held all the boxes waiting to be opened. The room holding out for the hope that one day, it too would get furniture, decorations, and people to love and sit in it.
We decided to host a family party with my cousins on my mom’s side before everyone went back to school. It was a not really Christmas, not really a housewarming party, just a come hang out and EAT kind of party (the best kind there is!). You know how parties are… you clean and do the stuff you’ve been wanting to do but haven’t so that it’s DONE when people come over. This formula has helped my mom get my dad going on projects for years and it worked pretty well for our nothing room front room!
Here’s what the room looks like now, click for larger pictures:
We set up the TV there so that the kids could play Wii during the party. I don’t know if I want to leave that bookshelf there, since it hides the second of the built-in shelves. Here are some possible goodies that may make it onto the walls of the room. The reason I’m selective is that plaster walls require you to THINK CAREFULLY before placing ANY nail or screw into the wall. Have any good tips for plaster walls? Let me know! PLEASE!!
- Couch: given to us by a cousin, orginally bought by my aunt at a sale of some sort, I don’t know what she paid, free.
- Coffee table: a friend of my parents’ asked my dad if I would want it, otherwise she’d throw it out, free.
- Desk: belonged to Doug’s parents, garage sale, don’t know what they paid, free.
- Bookshelf (dark, near door): was an impulse buy, wouldn’t buy it again for the price but I do like it, $50 at Target
- Bookshelf (medium wood, near arch): garage sale, hand built by seller, $10.
- Curtains and rods: came with the house, spray painted rods ORB, free.
- Candles: bought at a garage sale, Pottery Barn, $10.
- Clock: garage sale, $2?
- Framed art: stager’s garage sale, $8.
- Fake apple topiary: St. Peter’s Barn Sale @ Kane County Fairgrounds, $2.
- Light behind couch, Goodwill but new in box from Target, $12.99.
- Light fixture and shades, garage sale find from my in-laws, painted ORB, don’t know the price but shades were $5 for all.
-Light on desk, given to me by my mom, I believe she bought it at Home Goods, don’t know price?
- Other: given to us by family, any questions, ask!!
Ready for some before pictures of the room? Woo hooo! I’ve attached some links to older posts as well.
While the previous owners were still here.
While we were painting it prior to moving in. Crown molding fixed, light fixture added, new color on walls, old wooden drafty windows still there.