40 Bags in 40 Days™ 2022 starts on Wednesday, March 2nd!
What is the 40 Bags in 40 Days Decluttering Challenge?
It is a forty day period (coinciding with the 40 days of Lent) where you go through your home and declutter one area a day. The 2022 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Challenge starts Wed. March 2nd. Since I started hosting the group challenge in 2011, millions have learned about #40Bagsin40Days and countless participants have changed their life, created more manageable homes, and refocused their outlook.
What is Lent?
Our 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Decluttering Challenge coincides with Lent, the 40-day time period between Ash Wednesday and Easter.
Lent is a time of prayer, sacrifice, and self-denial. Getting a bit uncomfortable and offering the sacrifice for good intentions; to improve yourself for the better of those around you. Anyone can benefit from these practices, regardless of religion or if you don't do Lent.
Could I donate unused clothing to those in need? Do we let food go to waste? Am I spending money on new possessions or helping those in need?
Jesus doesn’t care how roomy my closet is, however, I care about how wasteful I've been and what I can do to improve. In addition, material items also take time to maintain, manage, and put away. Time that could be better spent with loved ones, teaching our children to be decent humans, making our spouse or family feel valued. Time spent helping others, volunteering for a good cause, in church or in prayer. (Read more on 40 Bags in 40 Days™ as a Lenten sacrifice.)
To complete the challenge:
1.) Printable Progress Tracker:
(Updated for 2022!) This free progress tracker will help you plan and keep track of your progress. Instructions are located on the printable. Writing things down will help you to see your progress and motivate you to keep going. Use pencil!
2.) Other support options:
- Join our official 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Facebook community; we have over 79,500+ members. Be sure to answer the required questions to gain admission.
- Here is a printable list of possible places to declutter.
- Go through each day of your plan and get rid of stuff. It's really as easy as that!
3.) Save these decluttering guides for inspiration:
- post on dreaded areas of your home
- post on paper clutter and kids' papers
- post on craft supplies
- a post on closets and clothing
- two guides, one for kids clothing and toys
- a post of non-stuff items to declutter.
- quick items to declutter
- cleaning out your email inbox
- completing this challenge as a Lenten sacrifice
4.) Tell everyone you know!
Share this link with friends or talk about your 40 Bags in 40 Days™ plans. I want everyone I know to join us. I want everyone you know to join us. I want to change our lives, see your progress. Big or small, embarrassing or beautiful. Why? I strongly feel:
- Your home should not make you feel overwhelmed or stressed.
- You likely have excess stuff you don't need.
- The stuff won't make you happier.
- You do not need to be embarrassed.
- You are not alone in this.
- You can do this!
Everyone has messes. The trick is to re-evaluate things as your season of life and needs change. Get rid of the excess noise nagging at you. Remove the clutter so everyday messes are manageable!
I want your home to be a place where you are surrounded with only the things and people you love. You shouldn't feel controlled by the paper clutter, the craft supplies from projects never carried out, the furniture Great Aunt Sally passed down to you, nor clothes saying what size you used to be.
We are all here for you and want to see you succeed. We want to free you from the unnecessary stuff in your life keeping you from being happy.