Every year since 2011 I’ve done a life-changing project called 40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS. Since then, thousands of people have done it and changed their lives too. I’ll explain how it can change your life too.
What is 40 Bags in 40 Days?
40 bags in 40 days is a forty day period (coinciding with the 40 days of Lent) where you declutter one area a day. The goal is one bag a day, however you can have more or less. The 2018 Challenge starts February 14 and goes to March 31. Millions of people have read about #40Bagsin40Days and 2018 will be my 8th year hosting the challenge.
How do I start?
- Print this printable plan and follow the instructions. It will help you plan your ideal progress, then record your actual progress each day.
- Read these lists: possible areas to declutter and “non-stuff” things to declutter. You can use these on your printable, one a day so you don’t burn out.
- (NEW) Join our daily email course, starting Feb 14th. I’ve had requests for something more in-depth to keep you from burning out. You’ll also get a link to an exclusive Facebook group, plus more hands on support. This will be our second year opening the ecourse. Many of our course members tried to do 40 Bags in the past, but were successful once they tried the course!
- Like our facebook page, I’ll be doing the challenge and sharing articles to help you.
- Follow on Instagram to see daily progress in my stories, and use the #40bagsin40days hashtag.
- Join our Facebook group; we have 67,000 members and growing.
- Go through each day of your plan and get rid of stuff. It’s really as easy as that! You can stick to the plan, or switch up the days as they fit into your life.
Going through our whole home once a year has helped us live a simple life. My husband and I have six young children and after 40 Bags last year, downsized our home by one half to be closer to work and family. The more we have simplified our life, the better it gets. I like how 40 Bags in 40 Days gives my home a refresh. I can see what’s working (and what’s not working), and look at our “stuff” in a new light.
Ready to take on the challenge?
Wonderful, welcome to the family! I’ve set up a few things to help keep you motivated:
Doing 40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS on your own and self-motivating yourself with the options below will always be free.
I created this for people who requested a more in-depth option to make sure they complete the challenge – and it did! People who had tried the challenge in the past reported much greater success completing it with the e-course. You’ll also receive an invite to an exclusive version of our popular Facebook group. Get more details and sign up here:
This printable will help you plan and keep track of your progress. Since this is a Lenten challenge and Sundays aren’t included in the “40 Days,” the printable is designed so you have one day off per week. (Use Sunday or pick the day.) Charting your progress is a great way to stay motivated, as you see the bags add up, you’ll want to keep going. Get your free printable here:
On our facebook page I share posts related to simplifying your life, tackling your clutter, and more. I’ve also set up a facebook group where members post progress and motivate one another. There are thousands of members, only members can see the contents of the group. We also offer a more personal, exclusive group with enrollment in the paid e-course.
4.) #40BAGSIN40DAYS on Instagram:
I’ll be posting daily on my instagram story, you can follow me here: @whitehouseblackshutters. Use instagram to document your day’s spot or bag. Post a messy picture of the before, then show what the after looks like. Share your struggles, story, and progress! Post a messy before picture before decluttering so you’re motivated to show strangers you really aren’t a slob. ;) Tag your posts and stories with @whitehouseblackshutters and #40bagsin40days so I can see your progress too.
5.) Sign up for the blog newsletter
These emails will letting you know of new blog posts on our website about decluttering, simplifying your life other ways, and regular blog topics like our home renovations, design posts, and organizing tips. If you’d like to join the daily email course instead, you can find more info here.
6.) Host a FUNdrive
This year I’m partnering with Savers/Value Village, their FUNDrive is great way to collect bags for your school or non-profit and get a cash back. Some 40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS participants have had great success with it! More details:
7.) Tell everyone you know!
I want everyone I know to join us. I want everyone you know to join us! I want to change our lives, see your progress. Big or small, embarrassing or beautiful. I want to help you become a better version of yourself. Because you know what?
- You don’t need all of this stuff.
- It won’t make you happier.
- Your home should not make you feel overwhelmed or stressed.
- You do not need to be embarrassed.
- You can do this. (repeat that)
- You are not alone.
I want to start a revolution against all of this stuff that everyone tries to sell us and tell us we need.
I want your home to be a place where you are surrounded with only the things and people you love. You shouldn’t feel controlled by the paper clutter, the craft supplies from projects never carried out, the furniture Great Aunt Sally passed down to you, nor clothes telling you what size you used to be.
We are all here for you and want to see you succeed! We want to free you from the unnecessary stuff in your life keeping you from being happy.