In 2011, I announced I'd be decluttering during the 40 days of Lent on this blog. I had heard about a Lenten decluttering challenge on a friend's blog and decided to start a challenge based on the idea. No one I know talked about their messes, and I felt like one of the few struggling with too much stuff and a messy house .
I was blown away by the response. People messaged to say I wasn't alone, that they felt the same way yet didn't know how to get out from under their messes. That year I hosted the 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Decluttering Challenge as a way to connect with and support other people looking to live with less.
What is the 40 Bags in 40 Days Decluttering Challenge?
It is a forty day period (coinciding with the 40 days of Lent) where you go through your home and declutter one area a day. The 2021 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Challenge starts Wed. February 17th. Since I started hosting the group challenge in 2011, millions have learned about #40Bagsin40Days and countless participants have changed their life, created more manageable homes, and refocused their outlook.
To complete the challenge:
1.) Printable Progress Tracker:
(Updated for 2021!) This free progress tracker will help you plan and keep track of your progress. Instructions are located on the printable. Writing things down will help you to see your progress and motivate you to keep going. Use pencil!
2.) Other support options:
- Join the 40 Bags in 40 Days™ Facebook community; we have over 79,500+ members. Be sure to answer the required questions to gain admission.
- Follow on Instagram and use the #40bagsin40days hashtag.
- Like our facebook page for inspiration.
- Here is a printable list of possible places to declutter.
- Go through each day of your plan and get rid of stuff. It's really as easy as that!
3.) Save these decluttering guides for inspiration:
- post on dreaded areas of your home
- post on paper clutter and kids' papers
- post on craft supplies
- a post on closets and clothing
- two guides, one for kids clothing and toys
- a post of non-stuff items to declutter.
- quick items to declutter
- cleaning out your email inbox
4.) Tell everyone you know!
Share this link on facebook, instagram, or talk about your 40 Bags in 40 Days™ plans with friends. I want everyone I know to join us. I want everyone you know to join us. I want to change our lives, see your progress. Big or small, embarrassing or beautiful. Why? I strongly feel:
- Your home should not make you feel overwhelmed or stressed.
- You likely have (or buy) excess stuff you don't need.
- The stuff won't make you happier.
- You do not need to be embarrassed.
- You are not alone in this!
- You can do this.
Everyone has messes. The trick is to edit our home and life. Get rid of the excess noise begging us to pick up after it. Remove the clutter so everyday messes are manageable!
I want your home to be a place where you are surrounded with only the things and people you love. You shouldn't feel controlled by the paper clutter, the craft supplies from projects never carried out, the furniture Great Aunt Sally passed down to you, nor clothes saying what size you used to be.
We are all here for you and want to see you succeed. We want to free you from the unnecessary stuff in your life keeping you from being happy.