This counter space completely opens up my kitchen. I’m excited for the next party, this will be the perfect spot for buffet-style serving and eating! Eventually, we’ll put some open shelves in the open spot under the cabinet on the left so that side is flush with the bottom of the cabinets on the right. It’ll be the perfect spot to put cookbooks or display pretty dishes!
Setting the time machine back four months to bring you some before pictures!
Here’s what the space used to look like. Wood color, bumped out cabinets, non-working avocado double oven. I find it hilarious that the old owners marked the space on the wall “OVEN.” Even when we took it out, we couldn’t get rid of it. You know how many coats of primer I had to use to cover that, lol? This picture is from a post I did on the game of musical cabinets that played out in our kitchen. If you’d like to see some good vintage (ahem – 4 months ago) photos of our kitchen, check out the post here.
Painted, but no cabinet. The drawer whose contents are exposed is our silverware drawer. That’s the one thing I miss about not having a countertop there. Now I have to….
…open the drawer! Hopefully this drawer will stay this organized even when it’s hidden underneath my beautiful ‘tops. I’m guessing the chances are slim. This bad boy needs a bath in some WD-40 and it’s funny I’m just noticing this now after living here for 3 months. I swear, I HAVE NOT OPENED THIS DRAWER SINCE WE’VE BEEN LIVING HERE! Just listen…
Ha! Totally forgot that I never put the outlet/switch covers on until just now!
- Oil Rubbed Bronze (ORB for short) Spray Paint: $4.88 at Lowe’s
- -1/2 gallon (if that) of Benjamin Moore Everlasting, used Valspar paint: $10 at Lowe’s
- – Kilz Primer: used about $10 worth?
- – Granite-look laminate Countertop: $130 at Menards
- – Delta Faucet, new in an unopened box labeled ‘as-is’, $50
- – Light fixture, found on freecycle, painted ORB, free.
- – Dishwasher, given to us by my in-laws, free.
- – Hinges and knobs, existing, painted ORB, free.
- – Linens, decorations, etc, existing.
- – Labor, free!
So a DIY kitchen makeover for just over $200! Not bad, ehh?