We lived in this home from October 2014 to July 2017. It was built in the mid-80s, had a great layout. It had 3100 square feet including the partially finished basement, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. While the home looks great as is, things were just starting to break down and it was in need of cosmetic upgrades.
We thought we'd be here for much longer than we were, yet Doug got a new position with his company requiring relocation to a new home. Click here to see the 1910 house we currently call home.
When we bought the house it had gray siding and no shutters. Due to hail damage, we replaced the 30 year old aluminum siding. The shutters were found secondhand and painted black. Landscaping was cleaned up, trees close to the house (and causing drainage issues) were removed, light fixtures replaced, lawn flattened and reseeded, and the door painted.
We replaced the carpet with hardwood floors and stained them to match the existing floors on either side of the room. The walls were painted, new fan added, and we gave the fireplace a complete overhaul including solid wood built-ins, a brick and shiplap fireplace, barn wood beam, and hidden cables and outlets.
DINING ROOM TURNED FAMILY SPACE:
Since our kitchen had a large eat-in dining area, we didn't have a need for a formal dining room. The room wasn't bad as-is but sat unused and empty. We painted it white to brighten it up, and made it an extension of the family room. We used it for doing homework, playing board games, building legos, making art projects, or for us adults to work while still being near the kids in the family room. See more pictures and read about the room here.
When you walk through the dining room, you'll head towards the laundry room. We moved a wall to turn a small closet into a mudroom area, rearranged the existing cabinets to create more space, painted, tiled, moved plumbing and added a bar sink, and added a butcher block countertop. Read more about the whole process here.
Just outside of the laundry room is a large eat-in kitchen, it even had a fireplace shared with the family room! We painted the cabinets, painted the door and trim, replaced all the appliances, replaced and moved the light fixtures.
We did a complete gut on the 1st floor master bathroom and a quick, weekend update of the upstairs kids bathroom.
This space was already finished. We touched up paint, killed a million spiders, and added carpet with a thick padding.
While we loved the backyard as is, it needed a lot of cleaning up. The trees close to the house caused drainage issues, the thick landscaping and shady space attracted so many mosquitos we barely went out there. We took down 11 trees total, took out a lot of landscaping, flattened the yard, reseeded the lawn, added new trees lining the property and another smaller one closer to the pergola. We also retained the deck and added furniture to make a living area on the bottom deck, a dining area on the top deck. We also added a fire pit, garden, and herb garden close to the house.