Today is the Saturday before Easter and technically the last day in the 40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS challenge. If you made it this far, congratulations! If you feel like this was just the beginning, then congratulations to you too. 🙂 Sometimes starting is the hardest part and if this challenge helped you to get in a decluttering mindset, than I think you're on the right path.
This year was my third year taking the 40 BAGS IN 40 DAYS challenge and while some people might be embarrassed to admit that openly to the world, I'm not. 🙂 I didn't quite get to 40 bags, I'm probably still around 25-30, but I did see a breakthrough in the way I maintain our house. Laundry and other chores have been done on a more regular schedule, areas were kept clean longer, and stuff was put away right away. As a result, I let myself work on some projects that we had been wanting to tackle!
While this is technically the end, it is only the beginning. I believe strongly in the following ideas:
- keeping a simple home
- continually re-evaluating what's important to you (stuff wise), what you need vs. what you don't
- not hanging onto too much stuff "for later" or "in case I need it"
- only keeping stuff in your home that you truly love
Sound crazy? Hear me out for a second.
I believe that many times the stuff weighs you down: you worry about where to put it, worry that you have too much, think about organizing it, cleaning areas of your home, etc. Plain and simple, when I have a clean house (usually when company is coming over, haha) I feel happy! I want to feel happy like that all of the time. Hanging onto stuff doesn't make me happy, it makes me stressed. So let's go back to re-evaluating.
When you get in the "do I love it?" mindset, you bring less into your home, and things will start to get out of your home. You won't worry about spending a little bit more than normal to buy things you love versus something that was "a steal" at the thrift shop that you might need, but don't really love.
So while we're ending 40 BAGS in 40 DAYS, I'm not really ending it. 🙂 I'll be doing more posts on cleaning, organizing, and simplifying your home to one you TRULY love and can enjoy with friends and family!
Can't wait for me to actually write those posts? Okay. 🙂 Here are some decluttering and simplifying posts that you may find helpful:
- our daily laundry routine (also here) and basement laundry room
- decluttering the non-stuff stuff (electronic, in your head, etc)
- our basement toy storage plan (aka why you don't see a lot of toys in our house tour),
- how to build a heavy duty, but simple storage shelf in one day
- 40 BAGS in 40 DAYS kickoff post
Need some inspiration to keep you going while trying to clean? Here:
- how to tackle projects when you have kids around
- 31 ways to stop having a bad day (also good pick me ups!)
Also, there are plenty of us who are still continuing to work on the decluttering challenge, and we have a facebook group for motivation, support, and decluttering ideas. I'd love to have you join us!
Have a happy Easter, and a great weekend. 🙂